www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com   Welcome to RideSidebySide

Welcome to RideSidebySide.com

A place for owners of all types of UTVs and ATVs

Go Back   www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com > Hunterworks UTV Info > Yamaha Rhino
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Hunters Dad

Default Explain this pick up coil to me!!

Beenb trying to figure out the test to test a pick up coil being bad.

Been told that if you unplug the rectifier from the vehicle and it starts it is the pick up coil.

Can some one explain that to me?

Only thing I can think of is, with the rectifier unplugged the stator is not putting out a magnetic field which allows a weak pick up coil to then work.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Explain this pick up coil to me!!

A pick-up coil, technically known as a stator, provides a low-voltage digital on-off signal to the ignition control module where it is interpreted as an RPM signal, also called PIP or profile ignition pick-up. The ignition module uses that info to decide when to fire the ignition coil. This signal from the pick-up is most likely a ground signal, but I suppose some systems might switch the positive on and off. You will have to use a special low-voltage test light(a regular 12 volt test light will not do), find the signal output wire from the pick-up, and measure the output while the engine is being cranked. You should see an on-off pulse indicated by the light blinking on and off. Remember, this is providing the stator has it's power supply and ground needed to operate.

You can also use a multimeter set to continuity. The number should be infinate between terminals.

If this helps ... don't think that I know what I am talking about. I just did a quick search. If it doesn't help .... oh well just another useless post by me!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Hunters Dad

I know what it is and how it works, just can't figure out how unplugging the rectifier will allow it to run.

FYI, the stator and pick up coil are not the same thing. The pickup coil is what you described and the stator charges the battery but they can only be bought together because they share the same rubber grommet thus when you need a pick up coil, Yamaha and most people say you need a new stator.

Want to hear something funny? One of the coils on the stator is not used for charging the battery, it is called "rotation direction detection coil" and I have no idea what it does other than what the name says.

Sometimes this coil charges the CDI, but not sure about the rhino.

Still have no idea why the rectifier unplugged allows it to crank.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM

todd may sound like a stupid question do you have a yamaha factory service manual??? i have one i can fax you some pages tomorrow if it will help!!
aftermarket sheave
HW muzzy exhaust
raptor stage 2 cam
lookin for power
Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Hunters Dad

I do and it says to use a ohm meter.

Has anyone one else heard of this test method?

It is not in the manual and I really don't think it works but I have a customer who it worked on and I just can't figure it out.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Cool Re: Explain this pick up coil to me!!

i have used the ohm test it works most of the time unless the pick up coil shorts when it gets hot then it gets hard to test unless you have a tool when it quits be careful sometimes the reading are tricky they give you percentages of out of specs
aftermarket sheave
HW muzzy exhaust
raptor stage 2 cam
lookin for power
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Disconnect charging lead from battery, connect small test lamp in series between lead and battery positive terminal. DO NOT START ENGINE. Test lamp should not light. If it does light, stator or rectifier is defective. Unplug rectifier. If test light goes out. The rectifier is shorted. If test light does not go out, stator is grounded. Stator should also be checked for continuity as follows: Use multimeter, set on resistance scale. Touch one test prod to positive lead. Touch other test prod to each of the other pins in the connector. Unless the meter shows continuity at each of the pins, the stator winding is open and the stator must be replaced.

If the rectifier is shorted it is creating a path to ground. Unplug the defective (shorted) rectifier and it will start from a charged battery. It just won't charge the battery.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Hunters Dad

Maybe I am asking the wrong question here.

This Rhino will not spark the plug and will not run but when you unplug the rectifier it will spark and run. This is the part I can't figure out. I can't figure out what the rectifier has to do with starting since it only has five wires, three legs of AC from stator, ground and 12V output to battery.

As far as I know you can unplug the stator and take rectifier out of the rhino and it will run as long as the battery is hot.

The defective part in question is the pick up coil not the charging system.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Hunters Dad

Finally got it explained, it is the Rectifier bad not the pick up coil if it won't crank and unplugging the rectifier it cranks.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I know what it is and how it works, just can't figure out how unplugging the rectifier will allow it to run.

FYI, the stator and pick up coil are not the same thing. The pickup coil is what you described and the stator charges the battery but they can only be bought together because they share the same rubber grommet thus when you need a pick up coil, Yamaha and most people say you need a new stator.

Want to hear something funny? One of the coils on the stator is not used for charging the battery, it is called "rotation direction detection coil" and I have no idea what it does other than what the name says.

Sometimes this coil charges the CDI, but not sure about the rhino.

Still have no idea why the rectifier unplugged allows it to crank.
Todd,

I just ordered a pickup coil seperate from the stator do you see a problem with just replacing the pickup coil. I understand the pickup coil is a very common problem and the stator does not usally need replaced.

Thank you,