www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com   Welcome to RideSidebySide

Welcome to RideSidebySide.com

A place for owners of all types of UTVs and ATVs

Go Back   www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com > Hunterworks UTV Info > Yamaha Rhino
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Default 700 overheating

We had been riding a while and the temp light come on looked and it was coming out the radiator cap. Fan had been running. at first thought radiator was dirty cleaned and refilled and blleed the system. 20 minutes later same thing blowing out cap. It was tight. Did this multiple times with same results. Finally oil temp light came on shut it down cooled it off and it went off refilled fluid and left of cover and passenger seat and rode for 30 minutes and necer got hot. Then trailer it on out to trail head.
This unit had overheated first day I got it and founfd out ut had not been bleed then. Once that was done did find till I was talking to Yamaha guy in Utah and he asked me if the thermostat had been changed. Which it had not been did that and has been fine till yesterday any idea's
Old 06-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Hunters Dad

Default Re: 700 overheating

Two things make a rhino overheat, dirt in the external fins of radiator and the system not being burped at the screw in the thermostat housing. Only the 700 has a thermostat, 660's don't.

If you didn't take the radiator out of the rhino and wash it from the backside to the front then I would say it is dirty even if you think it is clean.

Todd
Old 06-08-2008, 06:45 PM

We cleaned the radiator with a washer out in the field and it still overheated
I had burrped it everytime we added water. The old thermostat had been stuck open and we changed it in Utah 2 weeks ago and did not have any trouble till this time and I was riding with 6 others and not one of them had problems
Old 06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Hunters Dad

Did you remove the radiator from the unit?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 PM

one good way to check it without takin the radiator off in to put a white sheet of paper behind the radiator and shine a flashlight through it. if it's clean you
ll beable to see tha fins and the light on the paper. you will have to move the fan though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Two things make a rhino overheat, dirt in the external fins of radiator and the system not being burped at the screw in the thermostat housing. Only the 700 has a thermostat, 660's don't.

If you didn't take the radiator out of the rhino and wash it from the backside to the front then I would say it is dirty even if you think it is clean.

Todd
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 PM

I will pull it out and clean. What is the chances that I may have hurt the motor in anyway from it being hot so many times
Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Hunters Dad

It can happen but you won't know until you get it to run cool again. Remove the radiator fan/shroud when you do the cleaning.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 PM

If the t-stat stuck before, it probablly stuck again.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM

Ok radiator was out and cleaned and new radiator cap and thermostat put in system filled and bleed and guess what 30 minutes radiator empty coming out the vent tube and running on the ground
Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Possible Head gasket???