www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com   Welcome to RideSidebySide

Welcome to RideSidebySide.com

A place for owners of all types of UTVs and ATVs

Go Back   www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com > Hunterworks UTV Info > Yamaha Rhino
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Hunters Dad

Default Help build build the perfect UTV

I have been ask by a unnamed company to provide some information that would help them build the perfect UTV. Who better to ask than the people who ride them everyday.

I know they consider the Rhino the main competition as do the rest of the companies.

I have a meeting with them in Feb. and need as much info as possible to pass on.

Give me the obvious and the technical, even what kind of CVT style you would want and why.

Be part of a forth coming UTV!!! When it happens I will tell you then which one you had a part in.

The top is my ideas below mine is where I will be adding what you guys think.

Here are my ideas.

Width: 58" to 60" Why? I feel most customers are not limited to the 50" trail width and need more stability.

Length: About the same as a rhino

Engine: V-Twin in the neighbor hood of 1000cc

Stock Tire Size 14"x26" Why? Manufactures are limited in the sizes of stock tires they will use and this is a economical choice and one that will fit alot of users in stock form

Tranny and Differential gearing: Geared for the use of the common 27" tires and above Why? We lose too much power when we put the the tires we want on the vehicle.

Ground clearance: 13"

CVT style: Roller weight over snowmobile style. In heavy vehicles you have a tendency burn belts

Rear differential style: Open with a locking selection Why? So you don't tear op the ground when 4-wheel lock is not needed.

Front differential style: Open with positive locking mechanism

Tranny modes: 2wd, 2wd lock, 4wd and 4wd lock

Steering: Power steering

Storage: Maybe under hood storage and a glove box

Below I will add what I feel you might really see on the UTV from the suggestions the members make.

Member Ideas:

9 to 10 of wheel Travel

Pre-load adjustable shocks

No top speed limit. (This one probably won't change much)

Maybe bigger bed (My idea here is, if you need a bigger bed you don't need a sport style UTV, you need a work style)

More thought needs to go into the common maintenance tasks. Oil check, Oil Filter, Air Filter all need to be stupid simple to access/change etc.

Grease fittings on all linkages, rod ends, u-joints etc.

Adjustable seating and safety belts.

Cup holders.

seats: slightly deeper than current UTV seats, with large drains.

SEALED REAR BRAKE LIKE THE KAWIS!

efi

easy access air box

GAS SHOCKS STANDARD!

higher belt and air intake

Gauges, Temp. Fuel, Volts minimum

Tilt Steering

More leg room than rhino

Front and rear 2" reciever hitches standard

Larger axles and stronger CV's

If two, work style and sport style

Air intake out of the cab

Quiet cab area

Dump the bed from the cab

low range that is lower than the Rhino

1000 watt charging system

reserve for the fuel tank,

lockable storage,

reverse lights

larger cooling system.

Last edited by Hunterworks : 01-16-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Help build build the perfect UTV

In a nut shell what I would call perfect is a Rhino with a Can Am 800 in it clutch and all. 9 to 10 inches of wheel travel front and rear. Shocks need to be at least preload adjustable for when I am doing chores and heavy hauling. I do not want to be limited on this machine to 41 mph when its stock. In their spare time if they want to add another 6" or so in length to the box that would be handy as well but do not add width. Not much to change really after all there is a reason the Rhino sells so well now.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Hunters Dad

Why the same style clutch as 800 Can-Am?

I only have personal experience to go on. My Renegade 800 and my Polaris RZR have burnt belts with very little riding. I have never burnt one on a Prowler or Rhino with a roller weight style.

I don't have enough experience with the snowmobile style to make positive comments on it and would love to know why you would choose this style.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 AM

Rhino with a bigger motor or more power
9 to 10in wheel travel
comes with the sport shocks
no wider than it is now
13in ground clearence
26in tires
power steering
4 or 5 point seat bealts
real skidplates

Last edited by roadiestar : 01-12-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Xathros Send a message via AIM to Xathros Send a message via MSN to Xathros Send a message via Yahoo to Xathros

Since you/they are asking...

I'd like to see some more gearing options. Possibly a sub transmission for High/Low (Play/Work) followed by the normal Rhino style gearing for FwdL, FwdH, N, R. When the subtranny is in low, the Reverse Rev limiter could be the same as Fwd Rev limiter. This would greatly improve it's working capability. At an absolute minimum, there needs to be work/play editions that are geared for the task they are bought for.

As for the CVT, I like the current rhino setup and think it should remain but with a stock filter on it's intake.

EFI for sure.

Digi dash should be capable of reporting vital statistics (Speed, Hours, RPM, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Ambient Temp, Batt voltage , Diag Codes etc) BTW: Hours should only click while engine is RUNNING not just when the key is on and there should be a meaningful list of Diag codes and troubleshooting info in the OWNERS manual.

More power would be nice but not if it greatly increases the overall weight. I think the 660/700 has more than enough power just not enough gearing selections.

Front and rear difs need to be lock/unlockable independently.

Externally mounted alternator with upgrade options!!!

PTO Option for implements ?

More thought needs to go into the common maintenance tasks. Oil check, Oil Filter, Air Filter all need to be stupid simple to access/change etc.

Grease fittings on all linkages, rod ends, u-joints etc.

Power steering!

Adjustable seating and safety belts. Need to be able to customize the passenger side for adult/child passengers.

Must be aftermarket friendly. One of the reasons the Rhino does so well is the vast availability of aftermarket accessories. Some standardization in this area would be good for manufacturers and the community as a whole.

Price: <= 12K

Asking too much ?

-X

PS: I'd have to guess that it's Suzuki thats asking since virtually everyone else has something out there or in the works already.
'07 Rhino 660, HW Windshield, HW Exhaust Tip, Seizmik Console & Light bar, Yamaha roof, Gauge/Switch Panel (Volt, Temp), LED Tail Lights with Backup Lights, EMP Rear bumper W/2" LED lamps, Warn 3.0 W/Yamaha MultiMount. CVT Filter, HW Speaker bar and marine stereo enclosure W/JVC Head unit, Eagle plow, 7 Ckt. Fuse block, Unisteer Power Steering, TriFire CDI, Nokia N810 for NAV/COM, 26" ITP Terracross on 12" ITP Type 7 wheels

Last edited by Xathros : 01-12-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added more thoughts.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Width: 50 (you can make it wider in the aftermarket but you cant make it narrower)

Length: Proportional to the width. MUST have good approach and departure angles!

Engine: V-Twin/inline 3, EFI, Power to weight in the ballpark of 1CC to 1lb. of vehicle weight or better.
So quiet that you cant hear it run.

Stock Tire Size doesnt matter- just leave plenty of room for anything up to the largest ATV tire produced. (32?) Whatever the factory mounts on the machine will not appeal to everyone. Half of owners will replace the stockers with their preference.

Tranny and Differential gearing: With a proper power to weight ratio: nobody is going to worry about this one.

Ground clearance: 12-15 and some **** sturdy skid plates.

Tranny style: Big power is going to require some new thinking. The snow machine guys have been dealing with the power for years.-talk to them.
Can we have Tranny options from the factory? Id like a CVT in grandpas new UTV, BUT Id like four on the floor in mine? Can we do that? PLEASE?!

Rear differential style: Open with a locking selection, I agree with Todd 100%.

Front differential style: Open with positive locking mechanism, yes.

Tranny modes: 2x4 and 4x4.

Steering: Power steering, tilt wheel.

Storage: deep glove box. Everything else can go in the 45wx45Lx9dcargo box with stake pockets for anchor points and homemade sideboards for those tall loads.
Cup holders.
Slash pocket in doors for gloves.

Turning Radius: There is no such thing as TOO TIGHT. Can we have a selectable four wheel steering mode? With crab steer?

Protection: Front and Rear metal bumpers.
**** sturdy Skid plates.
Stick stoppers
Half Doors
Removable top and windshield

Seats: slightly deeper than current UTV seats, with large drains.

Colors: somebody should be the first to offer BLACK.
Cause everybody knows that black bikes are faster.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:38 PM

SEALED REAR BRAKE LIKE THE KAWIS!
efi
easy access air box
GAS SHOCKS STANDARD!
v-twin
12" rims not 14s. To limited on tires with 14s.
higher belt and air intake
lower gearing(not a fan of top speed, but speed sales)

www.undergroundatv.com
Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 PM

If even 50% of these ideas went on the new machine we will all be in debt when this comes out.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM

50" MAX. width, new US forest service rules.
Twin cyl. engine, EFI
Radiator that works
Street legal, or close to it
Gauges, Temp. Fuel, Volts minimum

More or less a rhino thats 50" wide with a big engine

If it's a new machine to this company, they should have a work version and a sport model, some want wider work machines with dump boxes and I want a trail machine that will pass a rzr

I'll think of more
Old 01-12-2008, 04:13 PM

As for the can am style clutch I ran the crap out of my Outlander 650 Max XT with 27" mud lites and never had any issues at all. Can An is also one of the big players in GNCC, Mud Racing and Enduro Cross and they seem to hold up well there. Over all I felt my Can Am Outlander was the best ATV I ever owned. I also really felt it robbed less power from the engine getting it to the wheels. On a hard pack trails my 650 Outlander would run with my nephews Brute 750 all day. But hey, I'm easy to get along with, if they dont want the Can-Am style clutch just use the Kawasaki set up or the Yamaha set up and give me 1000 cc instead of 800!!!