www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com   Welcome to RideSidebySide

Welcome to RideSidebySide.com

A place for owners of all types of UTVs and ATVs

Go Back   www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com > Hunterworks UTV Info > Rhino How To's and Tech Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2006, 07:56 PM

Question Rhino neutral light and switch.

When I place my shifter in neutral, the neutral light seldom comes on which prevents the engine from starting unless the brake petal is pushed. The neutral switch is located on the lower left side of the engine. Anyone know how to fix this. Thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Rhino neutral light and switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Joe
When I place my shifter in neutral, the neutral light seldom comes on .........
When you say 'seldom' comes on, I am assuming that it does come on occasionally. That probably means that the switch itself is OK. You might want to check to see if the shifting knob is dropping all of the way into its gate (prevents shifting out of neutral without pulling the knob sideways).

If that seems OK, you might try adjusting the linkage one way or the other to see if you can make it more stable. You are looking for the sweet spot where all of the indicator lights work properly; Reverse, Neutral and Forward.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:05 PM

This sounds exactly like the switch to me. Take out the airbox and pull the nuet. switch. on the side of the switch that goes in the motor. Take a piece of fine sandpaper and lightly sand the contacts until you see the contacts as a bright brass color. then put it all back together.

I have seen a few Grizz's and Rhino's with this problem.

Hope this helps
06' Rhino SE - Yamaha Alu sun top, over fenders, bar mounted lights, reciever-winch mount with warn 3.0, B-up light, warn 60" blade with homemade mount, bed rails, nerf bars, rear bumper, headlight guards, Yamaha rear window, Essex windshield and wiper
Old 02-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Removed the neutral switch and the contacts were dark. Cleaned the contacts and reinstalled the switch but the light still does not work. Made some shifter linkage adjustment but never saw the light come on. There was a little oil in the bottom of the switch cavity, is this normal. When the Rhino was new, only 32 hours ago, the light would come on maybe half of the time. It came on less and less and now not at all. All of the other gear lights have always worked fine.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:36 PM

jmlloar, need some more help. Did you read my reply on the neutral switch contacts. Still no luck with the light. The electrical diaghram for the 660 shows another neutral switch that fits in the top of the same housing. What is the purpose of this switch. Thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Joe
.........The electrical diaghram for the 660 shows another neutral switch that fits in the top of the same housing. What is the purpose of this switch. Thanks
Yes there are 2 switches. One of those switches is the gear position indicator switch and has 3 contacts (3 wires). The other switch is the Reverse switch and has only 1 contact (1 wire).
Old 02-18-2006, 09:44 PM

Sorry Had computer crash.

Let me do some research, and I'll see if I can help
06' Rhino SE - Yamaha Alu sun top, over fenders, bar mounted lights, reciever-winch mount with warn 3.0, B-up light, warn 60" blade with homemade mount, bed rails, nerf bars, rear bumper, headlight guards, Yamaha rear window, Essex windshield and wiper
Old 02-18-2006, 10:44 PM

Try this....
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2006, 11:02 PM

To "check the switch" unplug the switch at the motor, take a test lamp and hook the clip to a battery positve ( pos post on the batt is the best) and put the pointed end into the plug for the switch ( your testing the wires from the switch not the harness) you want to touch the connector on the light blue wire. with the trans in neutral it should be lit and in any other gear it should be out
Old 03-12-2006, 04:28 PM

Did the testing. The gear position switch checked ok and the ignition switch harness checked ok. I noticed when I was reconnecting the connecter at the engine that the neutral light flashed on and off. Found the male connecter pin for the blue wire bent and not making good connection. Straightened the pin and now light works fine. Also added a fuel gauge. Used the float type sender and it varies some going up and down hill but still a nice addition. I mainly look at it when I start on a ride.