PDA

View Full Version : Temp Guage

Tact
10-24-2004, 07:25 PM
I've ridden my RTV for several hours and my temp. guage does not budge from the bottom. I contacted the dealer thinking it was not working or maybe the sending unit was not working but the dealer stated that it just takes a long time for the guage to register. Has anyone else experienced this or is there an actual way to test the guage without taking it back to the dealer? My unit only has about 5 hrs.

Hunterworks
10-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Fred,

As a deisel P/U owner I can tell you it does take quite a while to get a deisel warmed up. They run very cool anyway. Have you ever seen a 18 wheeler with a cover over the grill in the winter time?

Todd

rtvman
10-25-2004, 10:00 AM
The only time I ever see my temp gauge move is when driving down my road but only after a minimun of 4-5 miles. Mine doesn't move if I am just working around my property. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you feel your working it hard and it doesn't move. It should then move at least a little under working conditions.

Dargo
10-26-2004, 10:32 PM
After about 15 minutes or so, my temp gauge comes up to a "normal" level. Unfortunately, it then begins to fog over to the point that in 1/2 hour it's just milky white. My fuel gauge does the same thing. Supposedly Kubota is getting new gauges to replace the foggy ones, but I've been waiting almost 3 months now. :mad:

Tact
10-31-2004, 09:20 AM
After about 15 minutes or so, my temp gauge comes up to a "normal" level. Unfortunately, it then begins to fog over to the point that in 1/2 hour it's just milky white. My fuel gauge does the same thing. Supposedly Kubota is getting new gauges to replace the foggy ones, but I've been waiting almost 3 months now. :mad:

I've written to Kubota about my guages. They are also fogging up to the point that they can't be read. I haven't received a response from Kubota.

Tact
11-04-2004, 01:37 PM

I finally spoke to a Kubota rep. yesterday who said that he was unaware of anyone having problems with their guages fogging up. Sound hard to beleive. He says that he will look into the matter and get back to me.

bczoom
11-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said they're covered under warrantee and ordered me a set.

Dargo
11-04-2004, 09:34 PM
I finally spoke to a Kubota rep. yesterday who said that he was unaware of anyone having problems with their guages fogging up. Sound hard to beleive. He says that he will look into the matter and get back to me.

Either he is being less than honest with you, he has sold only one RTV, or he has lived in a cave for the last 6 months. Nearly all of the Kubota RTV's built in the first few months seem to suffer from this problem. Fortunately mine were finally replaced today. I have not had a chance to see if the new ones stay clear, but at least they replaced them. It took about 3 minutes to change both gauges.

Tact
11-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Either he is being less than honest with you, he has sold only one RTV, or he has lived in a cave for the last 6 months. Nearly all of the Kubota RTV's built in the first few months seem to suffer from this problem. Fortunately mine were finally replaced today. I have not had a chance to see if the new ones stay clear, but at least they replaced them. It took about 3 minutes to change both gauges.
Let me know ASAP if your new ones fog up. I'm curious because my new replacement guages fog up just like the originals. I'm not going to swap these out until they find a cure.

bczoom
11-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Let me know ASAP if your new ones fog up. I'm curious because my new replacement guages fog up just like the originals. I'm not going to swap these out until they find a cure.

Ouch!!! That's not good.

Tact
11-20-2004, 08:37 AM
What about your new guages? Are they fogging up like the original ones?

Dargo
11-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Two sets of "new" gauges. All continue to fog over, and some not only fog over, but do not work. :mad: Still waiting.....third set of gauges work, but fog over. Kubota "fixed" the overheating problem with the early RTV's. The "red" area of the temp gauge is about half of the original size with the "new" gauges. Therefore, the same temp reading as before that used to be in the red range, now reads in the white. I'm still not sure about that fix.

Tact
11-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Two sets of "new" gauges. All continue to fog over, and some not only fog over, but do not work. :mad: Still waiting.....third set of gauges work, but fog over. Kubota "fixed" the overheating problem with the early RTV's. The "red" area of the temp gauge is about half of the original size with the "new" gauges. Therefore, the same temp reading as before that used to be in the red range, now reads in the white. I'm still not sure about that fix.
Man, where do we go from here?????? I replaced my temp. guage and the needle still is pegged on the bottom and still fogs up. Also my fuel guage fogs up. I also replaced my temp. sending unit and the needle still doesn't move. :confused: I give up! I've sent an email to Kubota but no answer yet.

bczoom
11-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Fred,

Finally found it...
I have a document which outlines the procedures for testing the cooling components. (fan motor, relay, heat sensor... but not the gauge itself).

If I recall correctly, when my RTV was relatively new, the gauge didn't move much. It would take a llloooooonnnnnnnggggggg time before it would register and unless I'm working the RTV as hard as it will go, my temp stays very low.

The document is a bit too large to post out here. If you send me an e-mail to bwc@zoominternet.net (or something so I have your e-mail address), I'll send it to you (and whomever else wants it).

Brian

bczoom
11-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Here's the latest (I believe it's from Kubota to dealers).

"Since its been getting cold outside we have been getting calls about the temperature gauge not working. The RTV has a large metal transmission and a heavy cooling system in the hydraulic loop. This holds the temperature of the engine and tranny down for a rather long time. Expect at least 20 minutes of run time before seeing any movement of the needle (170 degrees)."

Hmmm. 170 degrees and 20 minutes just to get something to register on the gauge. That explains why mine rarily gets a reading.

DRankin
11-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Another (very) good reason to use Super UDT in the RTV Tranny......

Dargo
11-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Fred, check your PM.

Tact
11-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Fred, check your PM.
Sorry to sound ignorant-- explain PM-- Preventative maintenance??? or manual??? :confused:

bczoom
11-25-2004, 12:17 PM
PM = Private Message.

Look near the top right of the screen, right under where it says "Welcome, Fred".

DRankin
11-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Or private messages?

Tact
12-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said they're covered under warrantee and ordered me a set.
Do you still have a fogging problem? I've emailed Kubota three times with no response. Just curious!

bczoom
12-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Fred,

I can't tell yet.
I replaced the gauges about a week ago but my ride times have been so short that they haven't had a chance to warm up yet.

Brian

Tact
12-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Fred,

I can't tell yet.
I replaced the gauges about a week ago but my ride times have been so short that they haven't had a chance to warm up yet.

Brian
I finally spoke with a Kubota rep. today who stated they are aware of the problem but don't have a cure-yet. He said they are working on it with their supplier. Fred.

bczoom
12-10-2004, 08:57 AM
I finally spoke with a Kubota rep. today who stated they are aware of the problem but don't have a cure-yet. He said they are working on it with their supplier. Fred.

Fred,

I find that interesting that they're replacing gauges but don't have a "cure yet". Are they just swapping out gauges hoping we get a good set? I was under the impression they've already switches suppliers and the ones we're getting now are OK.

Brian

flyingn
12-10-2004, 11:22 AM
mine quickly moves up to about 1/2 way and stays there. If yours don't there is a problem. NO gauge is calibrated to stay in one extreme all the time.

Frank

bczoom
12-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Frank,

Not sure if you saw it (it's on the next page) but below is the info I got and posted. It does make sense to me, especially as it gets colder. I do get a temp reading, but it does take awhile.

Brian

Here's my post:

Here's the latest (I believe it's from Kubota to dealers).

"Since its been getting cold outside we have been getting calls about the temperature gauge not working. The RTV has a large metal transmission and a heavy cooling system in the hydraulic loop. This holds the temperature of the engine and tranny down for a rather long time. Expect at least 20 minutes of run time before seeing any movement of the needle (170 degrees)."

Hmmm. 170 degrees and 20 minutes just to get something to register on the gauge. That explains why mine rarily gets a reading.

drtoad
12-21-2004, 08:22 PM
My machine would run almost in the red all the time. The dealer replaced the fan sending relay and thermostat and it still ran almost in the red all the time. The dealer is supposed to get a cooler sending unit to replace in my machine and I hope it will run cooler. The mechanic at the shop hit the engine with a thermal scan gun and it was reading 210 degrees and he indicated they shoul run around 185 degrees. When I had it in for service they forgot to install it so I am going to wait until spring.